Saturday, January 1, 2011

Earnings Loss Benefit Explained

=)
As a disabled veteran, I would like to explain the unfairness of the Veterans Affairs Canada claim that they are taking care of our veterans with their Earnings Loss Benefit.

There was a time when I could look forward to a career after my military career, financial wellness, and hope that the future was going to see me into my golden years appreciating what I had volunteered to do for my country.

Now, 23 years after joining the Canadian Forces, I cannot work due to a brain injury and I get by on my pensions. Sounds good to someone who is on Workman’s Compensation or some other plan, but veterans lose more than you understand.

For example, had I retired from the military at 23 years and was able to work, I would receive my military pension, my veterans pension, and I could receive pay for my work, possibly paying into another pension plan as well. I would be able to work until I was 65 and then receive CPP as well as the other pensions. Golden years indeed!

However, my life was turned upside down at the 23 year mark when I suffered a brain injury.

My Long Term Disability provider deducts my military pension and my veteran’s pain and suffering pension from what they are supposed to pay me. This leaves them not having to pay out any money to me so I can't really call them a provider!

Veterans Affairs has a program called the Earnings Loss Benefit. It is supposed to pay up to 75% of my pay when I retired, yet they also deduct my military and veteran’s pain and suffering pensions so I get nothing from them! If I had served just one year and had no other pension, they would pay me a minimum of $40,000 a year, more then I get now! But the pensions are deducted and cut off at $30,000 (75%), so I get nothing but my earned pensions while a new soldier/veteran gets $40,000 for the rest of their life. Not arguing that they don’t deserve it but I believe after 23 years I do too!

Our veterans are being served up a big chunk of “Sucks To Be You” from our Long Term Disability provider and a “You Can Take Care Of Yourself” from our Veterans Affairs department.

Due to not being able to work, my real "Lost Earnings" are what I could have made if I were able to work. I would get my pensions plus additional pay for my work and therefore, the Earnings Loss Benefit should not have any deductions.

That is why veterans are pounding on the doors of Parliament to get the New Veterans Charter fixed.

No comments: